As a brief insight into just how deep down the wingnut rabbit hole some can go, news emerged about one week ago that Boone’s Camp Event Hall in Booneville, Mississippi had refused to host a wedding that involved a mixed race couple. When asked why, a staff member is quoted on camera explaining that this was because they were Christian. It sounds like satire, but I’m really not making this up …
A few days ago, the Washington Post followed up and got an apology from them. As part of that apology the owner explained that she had simply assumed that the Bible endorsed this. When challenged by her husband she had spent 2 days vigorously searching for a verse to justify her bigotry and also sat down with her pastor. After finding nothing she rather reluctantly decided she was wrong.
The truly scary observation here is that after being a racist all her life, she was just one bible verse away from continuing that. She was completely unable to think for herself.
You can most probably guess how she still feels about gay couples. If challenged about that, I can guarantee that she would play the “I’m not a homophobic bigot, I just believe the bible” card. Strangely enough, those that lean upon a religious text to justify their intolerance and bigotry have absolutely no problem at all with eating shellfish, yet according to the bible that is an abomination.
What is really going on is that some inherit bias and prejudice from their historical culture, then simply lean upon an interpretation of an ancient religious text to park that in a box marked “The will of a God” and thus place it beyond being questioned or challenged.
For much of what is below, there will be a crowd of disciples lapping up every word as divinely inspired. For them, critical thinking really does matter.
Which Wingnuts popped up during the last 7 days?
Just how disconnected are these folks from reality?
For these folks, reality truly is a far and distant unexplored land.
Hurricane Dorian does not exist …
- Chris McDonald and Mark Taylor Agreed That Hurricane Dorian Is a ‘False Flag’ … “this is war. That hurricane right there, that is a declaration of war against the people. What do the shootings and these hurricanes and all of these things that are being generated, what does it have to do [with]? It has to do with one thing in particular: the same thing Hitler did in London, England, during The Blitz. They are literally trying to kill the will of man.”
As is usual, Dorian brought the weather control claimants flocking out …
- Prophetess and “weather warrior” Kat Kerr has commanded Hurricane Dorian not to come ashore in America or cause any destruction.
- Kat Kerr also later in the week explains that God allowed Hurricane Dorian to devastate the Bahamas in order to destroy the underground tunnels on the island that are used for human trafficking.
- Rick Wiles is taking credit for the fact that Hurricane Dorian did not strike Florida, as earlier projected. … (To put this guy in context, this specific nutter still gets White House press credentials)
- These Florida Christians Think Their Prayers Will Stop Hurricane Dorian
Civil War …
- Rick Joyner: Christians Need to Establish Militias in Preparation for the Coming Civil War … “We are entering a time for war and we need to mobilize,”
- Erik Rush predicts that future generations will ask how conservatives allowed liberals to start “our next civil war” in America: … “Had their progenitors really sanctioned things like infanticide and tolerated a brisk market in dissected baby parts? Did they really let 350-pound, bearded males in dresses terrorize women and little girls in ladies’ rooms just because they said they ‘felt like women’? Did parents actually stand by while such individuals were invited into their local schools to instruct their children?”
- Number of actual examples of “350-pound, bearded males in dresses terrorising women and little girls in ladies’ rooms” = exactly zero.
The Enemies of God … immigrants! …
The Wrong name …
- Chap says that the man who carried out a mass shooting in Texas over the weekend has “kind of a Jewish name,” which means that “if he was Jewish, he’s likely a Democrat.”. The guy who made this claim is …(insert drum roll here) … Josh Bernstein
- Jesse Lee Peterson: Andrew Yang ‘Should go Back to China or Wherever he Came From’ … “There is this little Asian guy or Chinese guy or whatever he is, he should go back to China or wherever he came from,” Peterson said. “You allow these people to come into our country and they come in with their socialist, communist ideas. Can we send this guy back to wherever he came from?”
- (The Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang was born in Schenectady, New York.)
Education is evil …
- David Lane warns that ….. “public education has become a breeding ground to ‘groom’ prepubescent and adolescent boys and girls, who are being primed by contemporary school programs for sexual exploitation. Pro-homosexual intercourse and marriage devotees and education’s foot soldiers have campaigned for legislating, now codified into law, the acclaim and standardization of godless depravity as part of K-12 mandatory learning.”
- Jesse Lee Peterson: Educated Women Are ‘Satan’s Daughter’ … “Being educated is nothing to be proud about,” he said. “It builds the ego, especially with women. It builds their egos and they really believe that they can be better and are better than men. That’s why these men who are marrying these so-called educated women, they are turning their husbands into housewives. They make them stay home, they make them babysit, they make them cook, they make them clean, they make them be the woman.”
Reading Stories to Kids in fancy dress within a Library is an “outrage” …
- Michael Brown is outraged over Drag Queen Story Hour: …. “We must always be outraged over them. Always grieved over them. We can never accept them as the new status quo. The drag-queen assault on our children is one of those things. I’m talking about the celebration of little children in drag. I’m talking about drag queens dancing for our children and reading stories to them. This is unacceptable. This is perverse. This is outrageous. It was bad enough when this happened at gay pride parades. It was even worse when it started to happen in our community libraries.”
- The Family Research Council prays against Drag Queen Story Hour: … “Father, our land is awash in sexual immorality and confusion. You promise to judge us for all such behavior. God, help us to intervene in righteousness to prevent the abuse of little children across our land. This has gone way to far! Help us, O God!”
- Bradlee Dean declares that Snopes is “a CIA operation.”
- Dave Daubenmire warns that Barack Obama created a “civilian security force” for the purpose of killing conservatives: … “Wake up my friends. The Black Hats hate God and they hate you. They are embedded throughout the government. What if Muslim Obama stacked the deck? What if he silently built his army? How will they respond if Trump wins? How will they respond if he doesn’t? Turn to Jesus. Trouble is coming. Perilous ties are upon this nation.”
- Josh Bernstein: Christine Blasey Ford Was a ‘Man-Crazy Little Soon-To-Be-Whore’ Who Assaulted Brett Kavanaugh
- Sheila Holm says that the Men In Black are real.
- Maria Martinez warns that the … “Equality Act will force people into homosexuality, then destroy free speech.”
Evidence for the above claims? – Exactly zero.
What else happened?
Lots of other stuff. As always, it is an endless stream. Some of it is sad, some is rather grim, and some is quite frankly hilarious …
- KY Principal Who Once Banned Novels with “Adult” Content Arrested for Child Porn
- FOX News Pastor: Atheists Broke America By Saying We Can Be “Good Without God”
- Tony Perkins Blames Texas Mass Shooting on Teaching Evolution in School
- TX GOP Lawmaker Brags About Not Doing Anything Useful to Stop Gun Violence
- Harry Potter Books Banned from Catholic School Since They Have “Actual Curses”
- Christian Pastor: Abortion Gives Demons a “Blood Right” to School Shootings
- Fight Between Pastors’ Wives in WV Leads to Gunshot in Church Parking Lot
- That’s Not Jesus: Mormon Temple’s Sacrament Program Includes Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Leaked Recordings Show Catholic Bishop Refusing to Act Regarding Abusive Priest
Is there any Good News at all?
Actually, yes there is …
- Infowars Loses Appeal in Sandy Hook Defamation Lawsuit …”we intend to hold Mr. Jones fully accountable for his disgusting defamation of Mr. Heslin“
- Former Gay Conversion Therapy Leader: “We Have Harmed Generations of People” … “After 20 years promoting gay conversion torture, McKrae Game says he’s (still) gay and the practice doesn’t work.” …Mr Game recently published a written apology to his personal Facebook page in which he called for the dissolution of any conversion therapy practice or ex-gay ministry.
… and we also had this gem …
When Mike Pence Visited Iceland, Rainbow Flags Were Waiting for Him …
During his tour, Mr Pence also visited Ireland where he was warmly received by the openly gay Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and his partner. Expecting well wishers to also turn up and cheer him when he went to visit his ancestral town, he was a tad disappointed with the crowd …
The Irish Times said the vice president’s views on Brexit, immigration and gay rights “are anathema to a majority of people in modern Ireland” and “impossible to ignore”.
It summed up the state visit with the headline: “That didn’t go very well.”.