Each week I post a listing of weird religious news items that popped up during the past seven days. As you look at this stuff you have to wonder if these people are being truly sincere or if deep down inside they they don’t really believe this.
For some such as Jim Bakker it is clearly a con. They are grifting and using religion to drum up fear and so the creation of a lucrative stream of income is generated. “We are in the last days, the world is coming to an end, so buy by survival food buckets to enable you are your loved ones to survive“.
When it comes to most of those listed below, I suspect their sincerity is real and they truly believe that intolerance, the absurd, and general daftness is “truth”.
Luckily, the vast majority of people who have a religious belief are not like this. They have inherited a cultural acceptance of it all, happily mark life events such as hatching, matching and dispatching, but skip the obnoxious and the absurd.
Nevertheless, we do need to also deal with the very existence of the intolerant and the absurd, so how should we do that?
Not by raging against the wind, but by highlighting it all so that we can laugh at it and mock it.
What happened during the past seven days?
The devotees from the Cult of Trump continue in the worship and adoration of their Messiah with utterly daft claims…
- Mark Taylor: Hurricanes Will Be Created To Suppress Pro-Trump Voter Turnout
- Lance Wallnau Says The Same Angel That Was ‘Assigned To Ronald Reagan’ Is Also Assigned To Trump
- Lance Wallnau continued to insist that there would be a “major breakthrough” exposing the “deep state” by June 6. (It is now well after date)
- Pat Robertson Lies About Trump While Bashing The Media For Lying About Trump
- Republicans’ Romance With Religious Right Takes Stage At Ralph Reed’s Road To Majority This Week
- Religious Right Ecstatic Over Supreme Court Ruling On Baker Who Refused Wedding Cake For Gay Couple
- Jerry Boykin says that the Holy Spirit told him that God spared him from death in his years of military combat so he could fight against gay marriage.
- ‘Ex-Gay’ Activist: Christian Women Should Stay Away From Feminism And #MeToo Movement
- Rafael Cruz: The Obergefell Decision Said Marriage ‘Could Be Between Two Men And A Horse’
- Christian Soccer Star Quit National Team To Avoid Wearing LGBT Pride Jerseys
- Young Preacher Who Said Gays Should Be Executed: I “Simply Believe the Bible”
- Tennessee Hardware Store Owner Puts Up “No Gays Allowed” Sign… Again
- Mother Gets Life and Boyfriend Gets Death in Murder of Boy They Thought Was Gay
Blatantly absurd claims …
- Jerry Boykin: ‘Our Whole Legal System … Came From The Bible’
- David Barton And Andrew Wommack Say That Christians ‘Are Supposed To Be Ruling In This World’
- Woman Says This Horseshoe Crab Shell Is “a Sign From God,” But Science Disagrees
Forget that wall of separation …
- Perry Stone: ‘Forget Separation Of Church And State’ And Hold Christian Services For Students During School
- Creationist Teacher Who Wants Forced Prayer in School Is Running for Congress
- Your Taxes Are Paying for Kids to Learn That Dinosaurs and Humans Lived Together
- Pastor: To Stop Gun Violence, We Need to “Allow Teaching of Scripture” in School
Religious clerics and leaders continue to abuse kids …
God needs “Your” money and you need to shut up and not criticise those who ask…
- John Burton has some advice for those complaining that Prosperity Gospel preacher Jesse Duplantis is asking his followers to provide him with a $54 million private jet: “The truth is that this is none of your business. Stay silent. Nothing immoral has occurred. No crimes have been committed.”
For some, reality is a rather elusive and very distant land …
The “Christian” solution to Church abuse stories …
The tragic death of CNN’s Anthony Bourdain is being used by some as a public soapbox to promote a religious belief …
- Catholic League: Anthony Bourdain Might Still Be Alive If He Had Found God
- Christians Claim Atheist Anthony Bourdain Is Burning In Hell
They are quite literally using a tragic death as a megaphone, and do not realise how utterly crass, unethical, and manipulative this is.
Meanwhile, here is some positive News
From far away …
… and closer to home …
Being Intolerant does have consequences …