Once upon a time I was an evangelical. For thanksgiving I am personally truly thankful that I have seen the light and that I am no longer floundering in darkness. I am no longer a card carrying member of the wingnut brigade.
Religious metaphors abound. “I was blind, but now I see” resonates. Perhaps however the most apt is a direct biblical quote …
And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not
The light of reason reveals a great deal. I do not believe, not because I do not understand, but because I do. The truth is that it was all a lie. So yes, I am genuinely thankful to be truly free from my previous bondage.
Wingnut proclamations from the last 7 days
Here for your enjoyment is this week’s selection of wingnut gems. It has all been mined from the stream of befuddled right-wing / religious proclamations …
The Cult of Trump ..
- Stephen Strang: Those Who Oppose Trump Are Driven by Satanic Forces … “There are spiritual beings assigned to oversee various realms and territories“
- “utterly delusional” is perhaps the best way to sum this up.
- Jim Bakker claims that there was a global drop in the number of earthquakes after President Donald Trump was elected.
- In an Effort to Prove MAGA Is Not a Cult, Brenden Dilley Unknowingly Mocks Cultish MAGA Media … “Dilley insisted that members of the media are really part of a cult, and he played a video featuring dozens of local news anchors reading literally the same script about the dangers of fake news to prove it.“
- Unfortunately for Dilley, all of the journalists in the clip he played worked for stations owned by the Sinclair Broadcasting Group, which is a conservative media organization that is staunchly pro-Trump.
- The video that Dilley played was compiled by Deadspin last year as the centerpiece for its article, “How America’s Largest Local TV Owner Turned Its News Anchors Into Soldiers In Trump’s War On The Media.”
- Dave Daubenmire: Nancy Pelosi and Adam Schiff Are Either Demon-Possessed or ‘Non-Human’
- We have seen this tactic before. It was once called “Untermensch“.
- Rick Perry Claims Donald Trump, Like King David, Was “Chosen” by God
- This is also an old trope. The argument of the divine right of kings to rule without being questioned is something we settled back in 1776.
Folks who have made lying a profession
- Josh Bernstein insists that he doesn’t lie and always tells the truth because his sources “are good, awesome sources, and they are never wrong.”
- Meanwhile in our reality he is almost always wrong.
- Sarah Huckabee Sanders says that she can handle being called a lot of things, but “I don’t like being called a liar.”
- And yet that is all she did as WH Press Secretary, so if the shoe fits …
Homophobia on Steroids …
- Linda Harvey insists that “those in LGBT lifestyle can never really celebrate ‘thanksgiving.‘”
- Scott Lively declares that Chick-fil-A’s … “crime isn’t just cowardly capitulation to the LGBT mob like Pilate choosing Barabbas over Christ and then washing their hands of political matters as so many people think, it is intentionally and deviously switching sides in the culture war to fight for the opposition like Benedict Arnold did in the Revolutionary War.”
- ‘Jew Coup’: Impeachment Effort Prompts Another Anti-Semitic Tirade from Rick Wiles… “Wiles, who is deeply anti-Semitic and dedicates many of his TruNews programsto railing against Israel and the Jews—yet still regularly receives press credentialsfrom the Trump administration—titled his Friday night program, “Jew Coup: Seditious Jews Orchestrating Trump Impeachment Lynching”
Conspiracy theories …
- Dave Daubenmire warns that Muslims are trying to seize control of the Great Lakes so they can poison the water supply “and kill a lot of people.”
- Evidence for this claim? – exactly zero.
Roy Moore is back …
This is the guy whose previous attempt to run for office crashed when it was revealed that he sexually harassed and molested teenage girls in his 30s.
What else came out of the Wingnut fantasy land?
Lots of other stuff.
As always, it is an endless stream. Some of it is sad, some is rather grim, and some is quite frankly hilarious. Here are a few more samples …
- North Carolina Church Sign Claims Liberals Are Trying “2 IMPEACH JESUS TOO”
- Christians Are Fighting Over Whether Chick-fil-A Is Still Sufficiently Anti-Gay
- Report Documents Lavish, Indulgent Spending by Illinois Megachurch Pastor
- The spending was in addition to his seven-figure salary.
- Religious Right Group: Pete Buttigieg Doesn’t Represent “Biblical Christianity”
- … But Donald Trump does?
- Church Leaves Southern Baptist Convention, Avoiding Inquiry of Predator Priest
- Anti-Gay Episcopal Priest Accused of Sexually Harassing Young Men
- Right-Wing Host: Mr. Rogers Corrupted Children With His “Metrosexual Wimpiness”
- Christians Flipped Out After a WV Mayor Changed the Name of a “Christmas” Parade
- In Viral Video, Pastor Allegedly Whips Congregation Members Who Aren’t Tithing
- A Catholic Order That Swore to Protect Kids Is Harboring a Pedophile Priest
- Liberty University Launches “Think Tank” to Spread Right-Wing Misinformation
- This “Think Tank” is in reality a “Brain Drain”
Some good news …
There are also decent people out there …
- Three Utah Girls Stood Up To a Teacher Who Condemned a Boy For Having Two Dads
- Wisconsin Church Hosts Thanksgiving for LGBTQ People Rejected By Their Families
and this also happened …
What is the story here?
The “They Betrayed us” stance is because Chick-fil-A announced that it would be restructuring its charitable giving in a way that focused on hunger, homelessness, and education instead of specifically supporting anti-gay groups. Doing that is what has triggered the wingnut brigade. They are seriously opposed to giving money to those in need instead of promoting discrimination. That tells us a great deal about just how morally bankrupt they are.