A website has appeared that has sent portions of the media (and for that matter the blog-sphere) into a feeding frenzy. It claims that Christchurch’s devastating earthquake was an act of God triggered by the tolerance of homosexual behaviour in the city. Sound familiar? perhaps so, because it has a sort of “westboro baptist church” feel to it.
<Now this is the part where usually you can insert you favorite “What a bunch of clueless bastards these believers are” rant>
Ah but hang on a moment, is it them, or is something else going on, lets take a closer look. The Web address is http://www.christchurchquake.net/, and it was registered on September 20 to an address in Utah in the USA (No, forget it, I’m not linking to it, but if curious, cut and paste it into your browsers address bar).
Now, looking at it, I’m beginning to detect the aroma of deep fried rodent here:
- Its anonymous – The westboro folks never are, they always tell you who they are, what they believe and why they believe it, I’ve never come across a Christian group who wishes to remain anonymous, have you? The one thing you can guarantee is that being anonymous is not their thing.
- It has pictures of naked folks – In my experience, Theist websites might denounce it, but there never show graphic images.
- The language is also not the normal thestic language – terms such as “bastards” appears.
- They not only condemn being gay, but they also claim the earthquake is due to baby seals being clubbed to death and also general cruelty to animals – WTF!, since when has that ever been part of the anti-gay lobby mindset
- There is a distinct lack of bible quotes to justify a belief … none, nada, zero … and thats very odd, just vague references to Gods judgement.
Nope, I’m convinced this is not real, its just got to be a hoax. For some reason somebody has cobbled this up to simply stir up the media into a frenzy. I must admit, its often dam hard to tell, because some thestic beliefs are indeed so insane it can often be quite challenging to work out what is parody and what is real.
So has the media been suckered? Yes indeed, hook, line and sinker …
- ‘Despicable’: website blames Christchurch quake on gay community – yells the headline in the “The Age” – Click Here – they have radio interviews you can click on and listen to, and also quotes from outraged members of the gay community.
- Christian website blames Christchurch Quake on gay – announces pink news – click here.
Well OK, clearly some folks take it at face value and believe it to be real … as for me, I don’t, the evidence just does not point in that direction.