We live in a world where there are structures in place that put humans in a position of responsibility. It assumes competence, integrity, and honesty for those in such roles. Examples include lawyers, judges, elected official, doctors, civil engineers, etc… Appointment of the best candidates will generally result in a good outcome for all. If however an incompetent buffoon who has a distinctly different agenda takes such a role then all bets are off. What you get at best is a weird outcome, but the potential for far worse exists.
Unfortunately, we need not imagine this, we now live it each and every day.
The GOP jumped into bed with the religious right in the 1970s with the hope of tapping into a demographic that would rally and support them with passion and a deep commitment. Today we find that the tail is wagging the dog and observe how extreme fundamentalist belief increasingly drives policy.
Many right-wing fundamentalist religious conspiracists have always existed in society, but were relegated to the fringes as loonies. They are now increasingly going mainstream and gaining traction. MAGA, or to use the UK variation, the BREXIT Party, are not simply political movements, they operate more like religious cults that have a leader at the top who is never wrong. Net effect, a cult-like devotion that is immune to facts.
What Happened during the last 7 days?
The truly weird Cult of Trump …
- Dave Hayes: Christians Must Rethink Their Understand of the End Times Because Trump is Creating a Utopia
- POTUS Shield ‘Prayer Points’ for Trump Prayer Day Ask God to Afflict His Opponents in Congress, ‘Deep State’
- Also Dave Hayes: MAGA World’s ‘Army of Digital Soldiers’ Will Soon Replace the Mainstream Media
- The Presidential Prayer Team is launching … “a nationwide campaign to gather and send prayers and encouragement to President Donald Trump on June 14th, the date of his 73rd birthday.”
- James Robison claims that you can see Trump’s deep respect for God in how politely he treats the media. … (“Polite” is not exactly how that manifests)
- James Robison: Trump Is Surrounded by Prayer While Democrats Are ‘Mentally Deranged’ … (claims a mentally deranged religious fanatic)
- Richard Land: A Democratic President Is God’s Judgment, A Republican President Is God’s Blessing
- Ginni Thomas Teams Up With James O’Keefe in Dark-Money Operation to ‘Protect’ Trump
- Chris McDonald marvels at how Trump has grown as a Christian and also … “evolved into one of the greatest statesmen” this country has ever had. … (His lips will turn orange if he sustains his ass kissing rhetoric)
- Lance Wallnau Asks God to Send Angels to Protect Trump From Impeachment and ‘False Prophet’ Media
- If Dems Try to Impeach Trump They’ll Get a Fight From Bikers and ‘Gun-toting, Bible-clinging, Smelly, Walmart Patriots’ Says Todd Starnes
Hatred and intolerance of people for simply being Gay …
- Anti-Gay Activist Not Happy With Trump Pride Tweet, But Says Actions Speak Louder than Words
- Bryan Fischer is not happy that President Trump issued a statement recognizing Pride Month because … “the homosexual agenda, which the president just enthusiastically embraced, is the single greatest threat to religious liberty in the history of the Republic.” … (Agenda 101: Human rights are gay rights, and gay rights are human rights)
- Dave Daubenmire declares that … “every homosexual is capable of child molestation.” – (and yet it is the priests and pastors who are constantly being caught doing the actual molestation)
- Gay Pride is Satanic, Says Far-Right Catholic TFP
Opposition to the Equality Act…
- James Dobson tells his radio audience to contact their elected representatives and demand that they oppose the Equality Act: … “We can’t let that go. We can’t walk away from it. We can’t close our eyes to it. Our children are at stake, our marriages are at stake. Our country is at stake.”
- David Barton warns that the Equality Act is … “the greatest threat we’ve had to religious liberty and free exercise of religion ever in American history.”
More weird fodder to keep the QAnon belief rolling …
- Dave Hayes (aka “The Praying Medic”) is now telling people not to worry about the fact that QAnon’s long-promised mass arrests haven’t happened because all of those to be swept up have “already signed guilty pleas.”
Support for fraudsters who con the gullible out of their $$$
Hillary is still a target
Gun Violence and Thoughts and Prayers …
- E.W. Jackson: It’s ‘Blasphemous’ For Ralph Northam to Say ‘Thoughts and Prayers’ Won’t Stop Gun Violence … (It is also a fact, and also “blasphemy” is not a crime)
- Dennis Prager Blames Everything But Guns for Mass Shootings
- Gordon Klingenschmitt says that the judge who allowed Missouri’s last abortion clinic to remain open is … “being influenced by a demonic entity.”
Is that it for this week or did anything else weird happen?
It was just another “normal” week; lots more weird stuff popped up. Here are a few more links ..
- Southern Baptist Missionary Leaders Repeatedly Covered Up Sexual Abuse
- Ex-Christian on White Evangelicals: Trump Has Turned Their Faith “Into a Cult”
- Catholic Bishop With No Self-Awareness Says Pride Events Are “Harmful” for Kids
- These Preachers Are Trying Way too Hard to Go Viral
- Louisiana GOP Backs Child Marriage Bill: “A Lot of 16-Year-Olds Are Very Mature”
- Catholic Priest: Women Must Cover Their Shoulders at Mass to Protect Male Purity
- TN Christian Prosecutor: Gay People Don’t Deserve Domestic Violence Protections
- Alabama Mayor Defends Rant About the Need to “Kill” LGBTQ People and Liberals
- Christian Preacher: I Stopped Fatal Accidents in My Hometown With My Tears
- The Catholic Church Paid Lobbyists Millions to Block More Sex Abuse Lawsuits
- Church Leader Allegedly Raped Girls and Said Refusing Him Would Go “Against God”
- Conservatives Are Exaggerating a Supposed Abortion-Related Exodus from Netflix
- Christian Bigot Who Said Gay People Die Young: Stop Calling Me “the B Word”
- The Trump Administration is Restricting Fetal Tissue Research for No Good Reason
- West Virginia Bishop Spent Millions on Travel, Alcohol, and Presents for Priests
- Christian Florist Who Won’t Sell Flowers for Gay Weddings Loses in Court Again
- IL Bishop: Catholic Lawmakers Who Passed Abortion Bill Can’t Get Holy Communion
- Pastor Credibly Accused of Using Oral Sex to Exorcise Men’s “Evil Spirits”
- God Loves You. That’s Why He Might Kill You. Sincerely, John Piper.
- A Satanist Responds to a Catholic Group’s Claim That Gay Pride is Satanic
- Richard Land: God Blesses America By Putting Republicans in the White House
- There Are People in Key West (FL) Who Think Their Prayers Block Hurricanes