It is not all about Trump. Even without him the issues would remain. We face a pandemic of intolerance, racism, and science-denial, all firmly laid upon a foundation of religious mythology and conspiracy thinking.
Trump is where he is because literally millions of people happily support him. The big challenge we face is all of them.
It is of course complicated and not quite as simple as that. Some truly are deeply racist, but others simply align with it all because it is their tribe, and so they hold their nose and vote for him because of an emotional bond that has been formed over decades.
There are also those that really will no longer do so, and have said “too much”, so there is also hope because of things like this …
Let’s take a look at what has been happening this past week amongst the wingnut community..
Wingnut proclamations from the last 7 days
It is all very much everything you might expect and a lot more. Here are some of the highlights …
The Cult Of Trump
- Mark Taylor and Chris McDonald Attack Jentezen Franklin as a ‘Viper’ for Daring to Mildly Criticize Trump
- Apparently the “anointed one” can do no wrong in their glazed eyes
- Rick Wiles Rejoices in Trump’s Staged Bible Photo-Op
- Here is something else Mr Wiles wants to rejoice in this week, violence by thugs is literally his wet dream – Rick Wiles Hopes Trump Will Round-Up Liberal Activists and Torture Them
- Paula White says that Trump understands “how important faith is to the nation” because he “is a man of great and deep faith.”
- The only “great and deep faith” Trump actually has is in himself.
- Ed Martin Calls D.C. Archbishop Criticism of Trump ‘Hateful’ and ‘Social Justice Gobbledygook’
- No one understands gobbledygook better than someone who defends Phyllis Schlafly for a living.
- Dan Bongino is outraged that the media is painting President Donald Trump as a coward for hiding in a bunker during the recent protests, especially after Trump showed his “stones” by staging his Bible photo-op outside St. John’s Episcopal Church.
- Trump also claimed that he was not hiding, he was simply “inspecting” the bunker.
- Comedian Sarah Cooper mocked him. No need to make anything up, she just used his actual interview …
- Ralph Reed and Franklin Graham have nothing but praise for Trump’s blatant Bible photo-op.
- If Obama had held a bible upside down in a staged photo shoot, you know that these same guys would have declared it to be evidence that he was the anti-christ
- Dave Daubenmire declares that he “doesn’t care” whether Trump’s faith “is genuine or not” because “the man is sending a message” of support for the church with his photo-op.
- That very much sums Dave up. He really does not care about facts or truth.
George Floyd and the Protesters
- Kat Kerr Orders ‘Army of Heaven’ to Expose ‘Evil People’ Behind George Floyd Protests
- Jo Rae Perkins Says George Floyd Protests Are Being Organized By ‘The Army That Obama Put Together’
- She also claims on the basis of exactly zero evidence that billionaire philanthropist George Soros is funding the protests.
- Brenden Dilley Is Just Waiting Until Trump ‘Gives Us the Green Light’ to Start Gunning Down Protesters
- If your team mates are violent thugs like this guy, then it really is time to walk away
- Charlie Kirk Claims Democratic Mayors ‘Happy’ To Watch Cities Burn, Calls on Trump to Invoke the Insurrection Act
- Josh Bernstein urges President Donald Trump to use “any means necessary” to quash the George Floyd protests and warns that conservatives are “locked and loaded” in preparation for protests breaking out in red states.
- Bryan Fischer encourages Trump to “send in the troops” because the protests have … “gone on long enough in one city after another to make it clear that politicians and law enforcement officers just don’t have the stomach” to use adequate force to quash them.
- Much of the problem is that the police have used way too much force. That’s what started all of this. You don’t solve the problem by ramping it up.
- BlazeTV Host Deceptively Edits Video, Trump Laps It Up …”A host for Glenn Beck’s BlazeTV selectively edited a video clip to portray a white man who was severely beaten after charging mostly black protesters in Dallas, Texas, with a machete as an innocent shop owner protecting his store from violent protesters“
- This was no honest mistake, it was deliberate deception and an attempt to manipulate and inflame a racist response.
- Scott Lively says that … “the purpose of Black Lives Matters is to increase racism.”
- Dave Daubenmire declares that … “racism is made up.”
- Also Dave Daubenmire insists that he’s not racist.
Wingnut Coronavirus Claims – Utterly clueless and proud of that
- Gary Bauer is outraged that Joe Biden wore a mask during a recent Memorial Day ceremony: … “Nobody at that area where he laid the memorial was going to get closer than ten feet to the vice president, but he and his wife thought that somehow this was showing their superiority or their seriousness by wearing a mask, when there was really no reason, logical or otherwise, for them to do so.”
- Curt Landry claims that activists can go to George Soros’s website and sign up to be paid to riot.
- I really don’t need to tell you this, but just for completeness let me say it – Nope, you can’t. You don’t need to take my word on that, you can check it yourself. The only thing you can actually sign up for are emails containing any articles he writes.
- Scott Lively and Mark Taylor both claim that the George Floyd protests were ginned up to protect former President Barack Obama from prosecution.
- In their eyes being a black President who did a good job is apparently a crime. Now what is the word for such a bias? It is something beginning with ‘R’ I think.
Way beyond just Bizarre
- Larry Tomczak Calls 2020 Election a ‘Defining Moment’ for ‘Nation Established Upon a Covenant With God’
- One rather inconvenient fact is that the US was established as a secular nation. Religion played no part.
- DeAnna Lorraine Opposes Riots and Destruction, Unless It’s Targeting Hollywood … “DeAnna Lorraine decried the sporadic looting, destruction, and violence that has occurred amid the nationwide protests following the police killing of George Floyd last week—before saying she’d be OK with seeing Hollywood burned to the ground “because it is satanic.”
- If she really hates movies then she is under no obligation to ever watch one.
- Bill Mitchell says that if systemic racism exists, it’s largely the fault of former President Barack Obama because he “really did nothing in eight years for the black community.”
- “Racism is all the fault of the black guy” … says racist.
- Glenn Beck spent the end of 2015 warning that the United States was going to see widespread riots, assassinations, and civil unrest in 2016. That didn’t happen, but now that protests and unrest are happening in 2020, Beck is claiming that his prediction was correct.
- Beck’s track record for correctly predicting anything has a success rate of 0%
- Chris McDonald says that former president Barack Obama’s address regarding the police killing of George Floyd and subsequent nationwide protests is an act of “rebellion” akin to the biblical story of Korah, who challenged the leadership of Moses and was killed by God as punishment.
- Yes, Mr McDonald is indeed claiming that Trump has been appointed by God to a role that is on par with Moses, and so suggests that his God will smite Obama for daring to criticise the anointed one.
What else came out of the Wingnut fantasy land?
Lots of other stuff.
As always, it is an endless stream. Some of it is good, some sad, some is rather grim, and some is quite frankly hilarious. Here are a few more samples …
- Former Guam Archbishop Who Raped Kids Still Gets $1,500 a Month From the Church
- Even the worst priests are rewarded by the Catholic Church.
- Christian Prayer Patrol Drives All Over Dubuque to “Let Loose Angels”
- How to fool yourself into thinking you are doing something when you are doing nothing meaningful at all.
- Chaplain: COVID-19 Is Punishment for Speaking “Boastfully/Proudly” of Abortions
- Weird how God waited decades to punish people with a virus…
- 22% of Americans Wrongly Think a Democratic President Would “Ban the Bible”
- There are a rather lot of very stupid people
- Christian Hate Group Leader Tony Perkins Blames Protests on Godlessness
- More Jesus isn’t going to fix racism, especially when conservative Christians are making the problem worse.
- Idaho Christians Held a Religious Event 10 Days Ago. Now 30 of Them Have COVID.
- They didn’t wear masks. They didn’t social distance. Anyone surprised?
- Texas GOP Leader: George Floyd’s Murder Was “Staged” to Create “Racial Tensions”
- Cynthia Brehm is a racist Christian conspiracy theorist who refuses to resign.
- FOX News Guest Implies Protesters Are Eager to “Attack and Dethrone God”
- Dethroning God is my job. Not theirs.
- 17 Worshipers Whose Pastor Said He’d Sue to Reopen KY Churches Just Caught COVID
- Pastor: “I don’t know of anything we could’ve done differently.”
- Everybody else: “Following public health advise is one obvious thing“.
If you are going to get behind the incompetent buffoon in the White House and promote him as the chosen one of God, then there will be consequences …
- Southern Baptist Churches Just Saw the Biggest Drop in Membership in 100 Years
There are indeed good people out there who don’t go along with the blatant hypocrisy.