During the past week pictures of the following yard sign circulated. It is a declaration that “God Bows down to President Trump”. Is this yet another wingnut claim?
The observation is this – The cult of Trump has become so bizarre, so extreme, and so complete detached from facts and reality, that it becomes almost impossible to work out what is an actual belief and what is simply satire.
In this case it is satire by David Sander.
Sander’s “God Bows Down to Trump” campaign sign display was meant to be taken ironically (or “satirically”) rather than literally — it was mocking Trump and the sentiment expressed in the text rather than promoting them
Wingnut proclamations from the last 7 days
Here for your enjoyment is this week’s selection of actual wingnut gems. It has all been mined from a stream of befuddled right-wing extremism blended with religious literalism …
The Cult of Trump ..
- David Barton wants it known that he has no problem with the things that President Donald Trump tweets: “I like his tweets. I like the fact they stir up controversy.”
- Paula White Claims to Have Gone to the Throne Room of Heaven Where She Saw the Face of God … “Presidential spiritual adviser Paula White claims to have recently been transported to the Throne Room of Heaven, where she received a new “mantle” and anointing from God.“
- Sadly yes, there are indeed people gullible enough to actually believe this fraudster
- David Barton insists there was nothing wrong with President Donald Trump’s effort to get Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden, claiming it was just … “one anti-corruption leader speaking to another anti-corruption leader about, ‘Hey, you might want to know [there’s] some corruption going on in your nation.’”
- He is very much on theme. Most of what Barton claims turns out to be fiction. His publisher even had to withdraw his book due to his “embarrassing factual errors”.
- Jim Bakker and Robert Jeffress cannot even bring themselves to criticize Trump for swearing during a nationally televised speech from the White House.
- Ann Vandersteel declares that she “saw Christ emanating from that man” when Donald Trump rode down the escalator to announce his campaign for president in 2015.
- Josh Bernstein: The Only Choice in 2020 Is ‘Trump or Death’
- Dan Bongino Warns of ‘Nightmare With Socialism’ After Sanders Wins New Hampshire Primary
- Decent healthcare and education for millions of people … oh the horror (shudders).
- Cliff Kincaid says that because Buttigieg is gay, “questions about Mayor Pete’s personal lifestyle — and demands for the complete release of his military and medical records — are in order.”
- Jim Garlow declares that Christians can never vote for Pete Buttigieg: “Don’t participate in the sodomization & gomorrahization of our community – and our nation. And for the record, hmsxlty yesterday, trans today, pedophilia tomorrow, and guess what after that. The moral dam has burst. And the blood is on the hands of those – some evangelicals!!! – who would not stand for truth.”
- Sandy Rios warns that Pete Buttigieg is secretly a communist: “He’s very, very smooth, and he’s very, very young, and he hides his policies with his smile and his kind demeanor.”
- Pete Buttigieg “Hides his policies” by publishing them on the internet and also explains then in public debates on an almost daily basis … all very hush-hush and secret.
- Josh Bernstein declares that Pete Buttigieg is “a CIA plant”: “There is no question in my mind that he was chosen by the elites to run for the presidency.”
- Josh Berstein’s mind is not exactly something anybody should depend upon for anything
- Bryan Fischer writes about what he sees as a fundamental divide in life: “God loves people, environmental activists don’t.”
- Sam Rohrer explains that … “God embraces the tenets from which came the economic system called capitalism, thereby making capitalism moral, [therefore] it also of necessity makes socialism, communism or [any other] ‘-ism’ immoral and, therefore, evil.”
Conspiracy claims …
- Stephen Strang and Frank Amedia Promote Coronavirus Conspiracy Theory
- Rick Wiles reacted to having his TruNews channel banned from YouTube for spreading anti-Semitic conspiracy theories by predictably accusing Zionists of trying to prevent him from sharing the gospel.
What else came out of the Wingnut fantasy land?
Lots of other stuff.
As always, it is an endless stream. Some of it is sad, some is rather grim, and some is quite frankly hilarious. Here are a few more samples …
- Michael Brown: Electing a Gay-Married President Would Further Ruin Our Society
- If your morality is threatened by a monogamous gay man, you have a problem.
- Pete Buttigieg Is “Deserving of Death” For Being Gay, Preacher Says
- Imagine how awful your religion must be that someone else being gay is your biggest concern.
- Franklin Graham: Anyone Denouncing My Christian Bigotry Is “Truthophobic”
- Translation: Man who spreads lies says everyone else is afraid of the truth.
- Rick Wiles’ Guest: Zionists Are Using Trans Rights to Make Humans “Androgynous”
- That’s… not how anything works.
- 98-Year-Old Anti-Gay Televangelist Ernest Angley Settles Sexual Abuse Lawsuit
- Ernest Angley built his career on abusing others. As an Anti-gay preacher you will also expect this next bit … yes, he admitted to having gay sex with one of his staffers.
- TN GOP Lawmaker Says Tampons Can’t Be Tax-Free or Else Women Will Hoard Them
- It’s reason #327823 why men shouldn’t make decisions about women’s healthcare.
- Sen. Ted Cruz, Unaware of Hypocrisy, Condemns Legislation Targeting Men’s Bodies
- Ted Cruz suddenly has a problem with legislation that controls people’s bodies.
- Christian Ministry to Girls: Stop Loving Yourselves Because “You Aren’t Enough”
- Christian Group Blames “Atheists and Satanists” for Tilting Disingenuous Survey. Here is what happened …
They claimed that mocking their poll amounted to “religious persecution and anti-Christian bigotry.”
- Students Protest After Catholic School Fires Teachers in Same-Sex Relationships
- Even Catholics reject the Catholic Church’s bigotry.
- Louisiana Pastor “Checkerz” Arrested After Road Rage Shooting
- Apparently he preaches about respect … when he’s not randomly firing a weapon at strangers.
- Catholic Order on Trial for Extortion Following Perjury-For-Pay Scheme
- The priests told the victim to keep quiet… or else.
- Mommy-Shaming Christian Blogger: Feminism Hasn’t “Done Any Good, Only Harm”
- Some women hate that other women have choices.
- At Long Last, Southern Baptist Convention Kicks Out Church With Predator Pastor
- Southern Baptists are finally doing the bare minimum.
- Ohio Priest Arrested for Child Porn Now Accused of Child Prostitution
- No pastor deserves unearned trust.
- Iowa GOP Lawmaker Wants to Know Everyone’s Sexual Orientation Before Marriage
- There’s something deeply dystopian about a government list of Iowans’ sexual orientations.
- Jim Bakker: My Venereal Disease Gel Was Practically Created by God in Heaven
- Jim Bakker is going to get people killed.
Fraudster of the week – Paula White
From the category labeled “Who would Jesus fleece?”, we have this latest gem.
Paula White urges her followers to pay her instead of their bills.
…“If she is formally working on the White House staff and continuing to raise money and do other activities for her church, she creates the appearance of using her public position for personal gain,” says Fred Wertheimer, president of Democracy 21, a nonprofit government watchdog group, noting that it’s a common theme in the Trump administration, which isn’t likely to object. “If the president believes in using public office for private gain, who is he or anyone in this administration to hold people accountable for doing it? When it comes to proper conduct by executive branch officials, the Trump presidency is a lawless one.”…
…For her, religion is a business…
… She urged people to pay up so she could begin the laying of hands. “You can’t just bring a gratitude offering. It has to be a First Fruits offering! If it is one week’s salary, if it’s a month. If it’s a day, it’s got to be the whole of something. Quickly! Bring it up—do you need an envelope?” she said, directing people to give the First Fruits to the apostles holding baskets. Others, whose gratitude offering was more meagre, should toss theirs on the floor….
… White held a book signing for her newest book release, Something Greater, which is all about her relationship with God. But Something Greater, of course, is really all about her relationship with Trump. His name is mentioned 177 times in 288 pages. Jesus merits just 82.
The Mother Jones article is a long insightful expose of a religious fraudster, and is well worth a read.