When faced with wingnut attributes , the one constant principle that they will always adhere to is “hypocrisy”.
With the passing of RBG this is yet another glaringly obvious example. Four years ago they refused to hold a hearing on an up-or-down vote on Merrick Garland. By doing so they invented the principle that the Senate shouldn’t fill an open seat on the Supreme Court before a new president was sworn in.
What happens now, at a time when early votes are being cast?
I don’t need to tell you, you already know. It is not simply your standard “hypocrisy”, but instead is glaring “hypocrisy” on steroids.
A basic principle of the law — and of everyday fairness — is that we apply rules with consistency, and not based on what’s convenient or advantageous in the moment
Let’s take a look at some of the other stuff that has popped up during the past week so that we can laugh at the absurd and truly daft claims.
Wingnut proclamations from the last 7 days
Here are some of the highlights …
The Cult Of Trump
- John Hagee instructs his congregation not to vote “for any candidate that will not honor the United States’ military.”
- Is he telling them to not vote for President Donald Trump?
- Gary Bauer is praying that President Donald Trump wins reelection in a landslide on election night because he doesn’t trust Chief Justice John Roberts: “There could be a dozen states where we continue to – quote, unquote – ‘find boxes of uncounted ballots. That is a very dangerous thing. And, of course, if these state controversies go to our Supreme Court, it’s not at all clear what the outcome will be, mainly because Chief Justice Roberts in recent years seems to be moving further and further away from the philosophy of the people that actually put him on the Supreme Court.”
- It is the GOP that has departed from Justice Roberts and left him far behind as the gravitate towards the extreme right.
- ‘Prophet’ Jeff Jansen Says Trump Was ‘Hand-Selected’ to Lead U.S. Back to Christianity, Election Is ‘Literally Good Versus Evil’
- Whoever “hand-selected” Trump to do this really screwed up, after 4 years there has been a huge uptick in non-belief.
- Donald Trump: If Joe Biden Wins, “There Will Be No God”
- Trump is literally campaigning to the non-religious on behalf of Biden.
- Rick Joyner Says God ‘Seeded Our Country’ With Military Veterans to Head Up Christians Militias in Looming Civil War
- God had nothing to do with it. Various administrations over the decades deployed the military, hence veterans.
- Mark Taylor Says ‘Patriots’ May ‘Take Matters Into Our Own Hands’ If Trump Doesn’t Arrest Democrats Soon
Patriots” domestic terrorists – there, fixed it for him.
- Andrew Wallace urges conservatives to vote to reelect Trump but also to prepare for a possible Joe Biden presidency: “The next most important thing you must do quickly, is to buy firearms, like the AR15, with a lot of ammunition.”
- A plea for a violent response tells us a great deal about Andrew Wallace.
- Glenn Beck Claims COVID-19 Lockdowns Helping Democrats Prep U.S. for a Coup
- The “Coup” is in our reality the GOP simply not winning the election.
- David Lane is not a fan of mask mandates or restrictions put in place to stop the spread of COVID-19: “Before pagans like Goliath of Gath roamed the earth to oppress and abuse others, earlier leaders and rulers also thrived on the large-scale spreading of fear and panic, which is the trademark of tyrants (Num. 13:25-33). Israel cowered before both. Today’s blue-state governors and mayors are just the latest hectors exploiting agonizing angst and petrifying panic to gain control of the public square.”
- If I picture Trump as Goliath and Biden as David then you can see how easy it is to repurpose these stories to fit any agenda you might have.
- Josh Bernstein insists that President Donald Trump “did everything right” in his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Hundreds of thousands of people dying is not exactly “did everything right”.
- Dave Daubenmire was recently booted off a United Airlines flight for refusing to wear a mask, and he’s handling it well: “Muslims do not have to remove their face coverings; why should Christians have to put them on?”
- The airline made the right call.
- Sheila Zilinsky declares that Bill Gates is “a vaccine-pushing eugenicist who wants mass depopulation. … The man should be locked up. In fact, I’m all for the death penalty for this murderous sociopath.”
- She wants to literally murder people whose “crime” is suppressing life threatening diseases
Wildfire Conspiracy Claim News …
From the folks who truly don’t believe in the reality of climate change, even when it comes calling …
- Scott Lively claims that the wildfires in California and Oregon “are being set by Islamists and anarchists.”
- Mark Taylor says the wildfires in California and Oregon are “a domestic terrorist attack on the United States on the West Coast that is being allowed by corrupt cabal mayors.”
- David Kupelian declares that “Democrat-led policies are arguably as complicit in allowing America’s forests to burn uncontrollably as are their policies that are allowing America’s major cities to burn at the hands of Marxist/anarchist revolutionary mobs.”
The unhinged fringe are becoming even more unhinged and frantic because they can no doubt smell defeat and relegation to the back benches of obscurity and irrelevance…
- ‘Let’s Not Allow This to Happen Again’: Robert Henderson Compares the 2020 Election to 9/11
- He thinks 9/11 happened because the church was not united … and that they will lose the election for the same reason. Er … when exactly have all Christians ever agreed on anything?
- Promoting Conspiracy Theories Is Part of the Job For HHS Spokesman Michael Caputo … “he lashed out at scientists, reporters, and Democrats, claiming that political opponents of President Donald Trump are training “hit squads” to forestall a second Trump term. “You understand that they’re going to have to kill me“
- He is now on medical leave … looks like he is getting the help he really needs.
- Rick Wiles attacks Kamala Harris for not having a “Christian name,” saying that it’s “a curse to go through life named for a false idol.”
- How exactly does any name become “Christian”, does it get converted in some manner?
- Glenn Beck declares that he does not trust anybody who graduated with a degree in journalism because journalists are “an enemy to mankind.”
- He really hates educated people because they are skeptical about his claims.
- Brian Burch of Catholic Vote warns that “a Biden presidency represents an existential threat” to Catholics and the church.
- The ever so tiny flaw with his claim is the observation that Biden is a devout Catholic.
- Tom Gilson declares that “Black Lives Matter is a modern Blood Letting Movement, only more horrific.”
- People seeking equality really do frighten some of the privileged.
- Sheila Zilinsky exposes professional basketball star LeBron James as an “Illuminati wizard” who is “conjuring up demons before every game”
- This “conjuring” is in reality him just tossing chalk into the air … LOL
What else came out of the Wingnut fantasy land last week?
Lots of other stuff.
As always, it is an endless stream. Some of it is good, some sad, some is rather grim, and some is quite frankly hilarious. Here are a few more samples …
- As California Burns, Trump Rejects the Climate Science That Explains the Chaos
- are you really surprised?
- Trump to American Jewish Leaders: “We Love Your Country”
- that is not exactly going to help motivate them to vote for him.
The Catholic Church …
- Milwaukee’s Archbishop Is Guilt-Tripping Catholics Into Returning to Church
- He said healthy people “who deliberately fail to attend Sunday Mass commit a grave sin.”
- Church Court Punishes Priest Found Guilty of Child Sexual Abuse With… Prayer
- That is not justice by any measure, their church court is clearly morally bankrupt.
- Insane Anti-Mask Protester’s Defense: “Most Child Molesters Love ‘Em!”
- Some really do turn stupidity into a fine art
- Pastor: California’s COVID Restrictions Are Like How “Hitler Used False Science”
- This is the guy who claimed that there is no pandemic … 200,000 dead beg to disagree with him.
- After Rejecting Face Masks, Idaho Pastor, Wife, and Church Staff Contract COVID
- Actions have consequences
- Christian Pastor Gets Kicked Out of Disney World for Refusing to Wear Mask
- Risking people’s lives is not exactly a compelling gospel message.
Bonus Item – Alex Friedman
Here are some insights from comedy writer Alex Friedman during the past week …