Some might object to the use of the word “Idiots” to label the utterly absurd antics that we have all witnessed. I should perhaps point out that denouncing sensible public health measures and turning it all into a political issue has led to a body count of over 331,000. Despite that reality, vast numbers of right-wing nuts still push back, so yes, “Idiots” is a polite and accurate description. There are stronger terms.
To illustrate my point, here is a quick example.
One common claim that popped up in a court this past week was the assertion that Tier 1 “totally prohibit[s] religious worship services of any kind and any number”.
The rather sensible ruling by the judge was that this was complete nonsense. To quote from section V, the conclusion of his ruling … and I do like his turn of phrase at the end of this section.
The First Amendment has not taken a sabbatical. Californians may still worship, attend services, pray, and otherwise exercise their religious freedoms. They just may not do so in ways that significantly increase the likelihood of transmission of a virus which has claimed more than three hundred thousand American lives in less than one year. The Constitution is not a suicide pact. The First Amendment may not be used to make it one.
There is simply no politer way to say it. Those brining this daft case were idiots, not simply because the case itself was silly, but also because they were fighting against a public health directive designed to keep them alive.
So what else has been happening in the past week?
Let’s take a look at some of the truly jaw dropping highlights that illustrates that the most common commodity that is available in abundance is stupidity.
Proclamations from the last 7 days
The Cult Of Trump
- Trump ‘Prayer Warriors’ Tell Him Not to ‘Give Up or Step Down’
- His devotees can’t come to terms with him not winning
- Josh Bernstein says that the justices on the Supreme Court “will forever probably burn in Hell” for failing to overturn the results of the election and give President Donald Trump a second term in office.
- SCOTUS is obliged to adhere to the law and ignore political fantasies.
- Jeff Jansen declares that Trump is “a born-again, spirit-filled” Christian who is “a crazy rock star-type of deliverer.”
- Jeff is clearly running a gullibility test here.
The “Stolen” Election
- Pat Robertson declares that Joe Biden will be president and that President Donald Trump should not run again in 2024 because he “lives in an alternate reality” and “is very erratic”: “You’ve had your day and it’s time to move on.”
- What is truly shocking about this is that Pat Robertson actually said something sane and rational.
- What then happens is of course inevitable. Pat Robertson is now being attacked by his fellow conservative evangelicals for acknowledging that President Donald Trump lost the election and that “it’s time to move on.“
As for the rest, it is basically lots of “me too” lunacy. When you are fans of a corrupt incompetent narcissist who lost the election, then stuff like the following tells us all a great deal about you….
- Kenneth Copeland’s Eagle Mountain International Church dedicated the entire morning service the Sunday before Christmas to ranting about the election.
- Mark Taylor announces that he refuses to pray for a smooth transition of power: “If I have to, I’ll fight for Trump to stay in office.”
- Robert Henderson tearfully begs God to ensure that Trump “shall be reseated as president of the United States of America.”
- ‘Nix 46’:Hank Kunneman Says Acknowledging Biden’s Win Is ‘Grievous to God’
- Die-Hard Trumpists Urge Pence to Act Today to Refuse Electoral College Votes from Swing States Biden Won
- Trump Attorney Jenna Ellis Denounces Courts, State Legislatures For Not Overturning Swing State Results
The Georgia Election
- E.W. Jackson Says Christians Who Vote for Democrats in Georgia’s Runoff Elections ‘Might As Well Spit in Jesus’ Face’
- I’m not exactly convinced that the folks he wants you to vote for would actually embrace brown skinned refugees from the Middle east over 2,000 years ago in Bethlehem and would happily have welcomed them.
- PragerU’s Awful Defense of Statues Honoring Robert E. Lee
- It is truly jaw-dropping stuff … “blacks are immeasurably better off here [as slaves] than in Africa.”
- Rick Scarborough Warns About the Dangers of Allowing Children to Believe in Santa
- One of his “arguments” was this … “his name is spelled with the exact same letters that spell Satan” … and yes, Rick has happily confirmed that he truly is that daft.
- E.W. Jackson declares that former president Barack Obama “was the godfather of the LGBTQ mafia.”
- Are the “LGBTQ Mafia” the folks who will break the legs of your coffee table if it clashes with your wallpaper?
The Profit$ of God
Most people who are religious are generally decent honourable people. There are however some who use belief as a way to manipulate, to enrich themselves, and to generally treat it as a license to be obnoxious assholes.
Here are a few examples from the past week …
- There Are More COVID Cases at COVID-Denying Pastor John MacArthur’s Church
- Members of Grace Community Church say they’re being pressured to keep quiet about the cases.
- Cardinal George Pell: People Turned Against Me Because of My Conservative Views
- er … I think the child sex abuse allegations played a bigger role.
- A Megachurch Pastor Who Attended the White House Christmas Party Now Has COVID
- Jesus isn’t a substitute for a vaccine.
- Trump Pardons GOP Rep. Duncan Hunter, Who Covered Up Campaign Fraud with Faith
- Duncan Hunter used Christianity to steal campaign cash. Now he’s being rewarded for it.