What a hell of a shitty week, and it has all be inflicted by a SCOTUS that is deploying a deeply dubious and unethical extremist interpretation of constitutional law. SCOTUS is no longer fit for purpose, it has been corrupted.
What we have all been astonished to discover, via SCOTUS, is that states don’t get to enact sensible gun regulations and that guns now have more rights than women do….
The wall of separation between church and state was also demolished. Gosh what a shock, who could have seen that coming when you pack the court with religiously motivated extremists …
Not content to leave it at that this past week, the big event of the week was the overturning of Roe V. Wade.
This was all decided by unelected individuals, two of whom are credibly accused of sexual offences, and many of whom lied under oath regarding their stance on Roe V. Wade.
They are not done, Clarence Thomas wrote, in a concurring opinion, that the Supreme Court should reconsider contraception, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage. For some reason, I can’t quite put my finger on why, Clarence did not toss interracial marriage into that mix.
Now we have to all suffer the onslaught of media “balance”, where we have to tolerate various media outlets interviewing supposedly “Pro-Life” forced-birth liars to justify to withdrawal of medical care. Elevating such lunatics is a key part of the problem. Maternal deaths will rise. Many will suffer horrendous consequences from botched backstreet abortions. Every single scientific opinion points to the necessity of legal, safe, affordable abortions and contraception. All that has now been replaced by religiously motivated fetal worship. There is no debate. Access to medical care is a human right. Platforming folks who are utterly clueless about the consequences of denying that is pandering to an illusion.
Astonishing as it may sound, SCOTUS has managed to actually eclipse further Jan 6 revelations of an actual plot to overthrow US democracy
This past week we also had two more Jan 6 hearings that revealed yet more corruption are treason.
On Tuesday 21st the Jan 6 Committee Day 4 brought us these new jaw-dropping insights …
- Trump was directly and personally involved in the effort to fraudulently put fake electors forward.
- Two Elected Republican Officials in Congress were actively involved in the effort to illegally overthrow the election. Andy Biggs of Arizona pressed Arizona House Speaker Rusty Bowers to decertify the states electors. Bowers refused to act illegally. Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin pressed for a way to hand deliver fake Trump electors to Pence
- Trump’s repeated lies resulted in credible threats against election officials who refused to go along with the deception.
- We also learned that Wandrea “Shaye” Moss and her mother Ruby Freeman have had their lives utterly destroyed by Trump’s lies.
On Thursday 23rd Day5 of the Jan 6 Committee focused on Trump’s attempt to corrupt the Justice department …
- Trump attempted to totally corrupt the DOJ by installing the incompetent idiot, Jeffrey Clark, who was prepared to go along with Trump’s lies and use the DOJ to give his lies credibility. It only failed because every single DOJ official threatened to immediately resign if he did this. This might have been Trump appointees, but they still remained truth to their oaths.
- Multiple Republican members of Congress begged Trump for Pardons. The list includes Mo Brooks of Alabama, Matt Gaetz of Florida, Andy Biggs of Arizona, Louie Gohmert of Texas, Scott Perry of Pennsylvania and Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia. You don’t seek a pardon unless you know that you are guilty.
What is perhaps truly praiseworthy is that Republicans Liz Cheney of Wyoming and Adam Kinzinger of Illinois have consciously sacrificed their seats in congress, their future political careers, and their standing within the GOP, because they have taken a stance for truth and integrity. We might not agree with them on much, but on this alone there is common ground. In the long run history will view them as the true patriots and the rest of the GOP as traitors to the republic. It would be tempting to label the others as on par with Benedict Arnold, but even he was not as unprincipled and treasonous as they now are.
These are truly perilous times. Basic freedoms are being stripped away, and democracy itself is under threat, all because a vast crowd, a cult of fools, have been conned into believing lies.
2022 and again in 2024 are now fundamental issue elections – Truth and Freedom vs Lies and Oppression.
All this is a Cue for the right-wing “Biden’s inflation” narrative to be played in an attempt to drown out what is really happening. It is an inflation that was actually caused by Trump ramping up the money supply like crazy during his botched handling of COVID. This will now be used to scare the MAGA folks into once again voting for the folks who don’t actually give two hoots about them. It will truly be a hell of a thing to loose democracy because of gas prices.
Do I sound pissed?
If you don’t feel the same, then you have not been paying attention.
Time to spend a few moments laughing at some of the utter lunacy dispensed on a daily basis by the delusional cult of fools.
Below you will find my usual selection of some truly bizarre claims that have popped up during the last 7 days. Each is laced with my snarky commentary. With my usual hat tip to my various sources, let’s dive in.
- Er … no sorry Mark, you totally did that … on camera.
- Mark lying is not really a surprise. Mark started out by creating a completely fictitious biography for himself. He was confronted by CNN in a live interview – they had checked it all and found it was all fiction. That clip is truly fun us to watch – it was deep agony for Mark.
- I have to admit, he totally fits the Trump political playbook – just spouts lies and makes stuff up, then gaslights by denying he ever said it when his lies are called out.
Bots and fake accounts with hardly any followers posing as leftists are making racist and threatening tweets about Clarence Thomas, then getting RTd by the thousands by right wingers with captions like, “See, this is who these people are,” etc. The Right has prepared for this day
- So … will Kyle Rittenhouse by catching an Uber or will his mom be giving him a ride again?
- We live in an age now where Republicans are desperate to crucify others for their own sins.
- You know how this plays out … there are literally 1000s of people peacefully protesting in cities all over the US. Right wing media and social media is frantically scouring them searching for a handful of instances of violence or property damage. Once they find them, they will endlessly play them on a loop from now until the midterms.
Trump issued a statement about Roe getting overturned. No I’m not going to even bother linking to it. He did his usual thing and made it all about him.
- This is perhaps one of the rare times when that was actually true.
There is now a real conundrum for Ron Desantis in FL. A clear majority in FL are pro-choice, including large % of GOP women here. Under FL law, abortion will still be legal up to 15 weeks. He spent so much time cultivating an Ultra-MAGA image for 2024. What does he do now?
- Thoughts and prayers.
- You know how it plays out. He’ll do what is most politically advantageous to him. He doesn’t have principals, just ambition. With an eye on the big chair he will jump to whatever gets him a shot at that.
- For example, he might make a public show of going after FL-based corporations that seek to help their employees access reproductive health care services
- I would not put it past him to mandate chastity belts if it got him votes.
Jamie Raskin asks Marge Greene if she believes one of the solutions to school shootings is arming students. Greene: “I think children should be trained with firearms. I definitely do. I think that’s very important.”
- Kids with guns … what could possibly go wrong?
- This was once done as a joke on a TV show by a comedian … now it is actual GOP policy.
- Why not go the whole nine yards and give teachers t-shirts with bullseyes on them.
- It would lead to a world where absolutely nobody would survive junior high … literally.
Steven Strang warns that Disney is “an entertainment monopoly that grooms our children with drag queen specials and woke cartoons. In Disney’s Reedy Creek Improvement District, it has led to a raucous and pagan nightlife. With each passing year and every new power grab, one thing has become abundantly clear: Disney World is and always was a world without God.”
- I’m struggling to understand why this is criticism, it sound more like an advertisement to visit Disney.
- It also comes with an extra bonus – if I go then I will be assured that Steven Strang will not be there.
Church Militant alleges that Jesse Lee Peterson uses his BOND organization for the purpose of “homosexual grooming and purported spiritual predation.”
- Watching Conservative “Christians” tear each other up like this is fun.
Kent Christmas claims that he can immediately tell that someone is gay just by looking at them because the demonic spirit inside of them “changes the physical appearance of people.”
- My “power”, and I suspect you also have this “power”, is that we can all immediately tell when somebody is a complete and total arsehole
- I’d bet the real way he finds out who is and is not gay is by checking his grinder account to see who else is there.
The False Profit$
Self-proclaimed “prophet” Robin Bullock continues to insist that he was correct when he prophesied that former President Donald Trump would win the 2020 election in a landslide: “It takes a while to dig out of a landslide.”
- Translation: Dollar Store Boromir is finding that shovelling bullshit on a daily basis is hard work, but he can’t stop because he needs those donations to enable him to keep shovelling.
- Sara Boboltz @ HuffPost: Arizona Official Emotionally Testifies About Standing Up To Trump.
- Matt Shuham @ Talking Points Memo: Eric Greitens Tells Supporters To Hunt Political Opponents In New Ad.
- David Gilbert @ Vice News: American Grifters: Meet the MAGA Army Profiting Off Trump’s Election Lies.
- Sewell Chan and Eric Neugeboren @ The Texas Tribune: Texas Republican
- Zack Beauchamp @ Vox: “Do you know how it feels to have the president of the United States target you?”
- Ken Meyer @ Mediaite: ‘There’s No Conspiracy Here!’ Ron Johnson Blames an Intern for Fake Electors Delivery to Pence in Excruciating 2 Minutes.
- Jeff Sharlet @ Vanity Fair: January 6 Was Only the Beginning.
Statistic of the week
Note that the Yaxis starts at 50% … everybody, except SCOTUS, is above 50% on this.
Quote of the week
Meanwhile at the Trump Rally …
To be honest, I think they also needed to sign this … Q