Chris, a New York-based photographer and filmmaker, has a fantastic idea that I truly love.
He is putting together a book of photographic portraits of atheists as a direct challenge to the persistent myth that without some mythological supernatural entity, life is apparently pointless and that our lives are devoid of joy and happiness.
Chris explains …
I want to document my fellow atheists and ask them what brings meaning and joy to their lives. The goal of the book is to visually capture the diversity of non-believers and the ways they maintain a better life, not in spite of their atheism, but because of it.
To me, the atheist life is a better life and it deserves to be celebrated. To see reality as it is, to explore mystery with an open mind, and to make the most of this life knowing there is no promise of any other. This is a richer, fuller and more meaningful existence than one clouded and limited by superstition and promises of an afterlife.
Where can I find out more? – Here
Wow, this is fantastic, how can I help? – By Donating here.
What exactly is Chris Creating? – The finished product will be a hardcover, professionally printed, large coffee table book featuring all 100+ photos in full color. In addition to their photo, each subject will share personal insights and stories that bear witness to joy and meaning in their lives.
Who will be in the book?
- Derren Brown, illusionist/mentalist
- Dr. Daniel Dennett, philosopher/cognitive scientist
- Matt Dillahunty, host of The Atheist Experience
- Dr. Michael Shermer, founder of Skeptic Magazine/author
- Rebecca Watson, blogger/speaker
- Matthew Chapman, film director/writer
- Julia Sweeney, comedian
- Dr. Steven Novella, neurologist
- Greta Christina, blogger/speaker
- Chris Mooney, host of Point of Inquiry/author
- Dr. Patricia Churchland, neurophilosopher
- Dr. Carolyn Porco, planetary scientist
- D.J. Grothe, president, JREF
- Beth Presswood & Lynnea Glasser, Godless Bitches podcast
- David Silverman, president, American Atheists
- Dr. Steven Pinker, cognitive scientist/author
- Hemant Mehta, blogger
- Brian Dunning, host, Skeptoid podcast
- Jessica Ahlquist, First Amendment hero
- Roy Speckhardt, executive director, American Humanist Association
…and many more!
Hat-tip to PZ for highlighting this.