If you know me, then you will know that I’m a staunch supporter of the concept called “Freedom of Thought”, which basically distills down into “you can believe whatever you wish” – fairies, unicorns, jesus and other similar myths. However, there comes a point at which you truly do need to raise your voice of protest, that moment arises when bat-shit crazy fanatics attempt to inflict their weird irrational nonsense upon others.
Sadly we have already passed that point with Rick Perry some time ago. The latest scary news is well-known, he announced this weekend that he would seek the Republican presidential nomination. Why the fear, well this now means that we have a presidential candidate who has in the past:
– Is Guilty of Murder in 2004
Both of the above are so extraordinarily reprehensible that it should immediately and permanently disqualify him from being taken seriously for national office … and yet here we are. It only leaves me wondering if the entire GOP “establishment” has gone insane.
Certainly Perry himself is indeed quite seriously delusional:
- He has publicly stated that all those who don’t believe in Jesus are going straight to hell with a nonstop ticket.
- He had no problem ignoring the Supreme Court’s 1962 ruling that barred organized prayer in public schools, so apparently the law of the land does not apply to him
- He is known for slipping note cards to aides upon which he has scribbled Bible verses
- He openly supports well-know hate group, the American Family Association, famous for their homophobia stance that is akin to racism
- He believes intelligent design is a “valid scientific theory” and wants it taught as science alongside evolution
- He is very pro Gun (well it is Texas)
- His response as governor to wildfires in April was to call for three days of prayer.
This is not just any candidate, he believes God is telling him to do this. Last month, when asked if he intended to mount a White House bid, Mr. Perry told a reporter for The Des Moines Register that he was “getting more and more comfortable every day that this is what I’ve been called to do. This is what America needs.”
So there you go then, lots of scary evangelical craziness and I’ve not even mentioned Michele Bachmann. Is this truly what the GOP establishment has degenerated into these days – a choice between an array of evangelical nitwits with fringe tendencies?